Saturday, August 18, 2007

0 Exercise Psychology Tip #2: Excuses, Excuses! Or How to Deal with Guilty Non-Exercisers!


Print




It's funny, I've also found myself responding differently to people when they tell me why they aren't exercising. And it's not like I'm asking them to confess their "exercise sins" to me either! I honestly think that many people feel guilty around me, & are prompted to tell me their excuses. They see me changing, while they are standing still. They have to compensate by making excuses for their inaction in order to feel "OK" & thus maintain their current, non-changing state.

All around me, every day, I hear people lying to themselves, making excuses, and backpedaling themselves into complacency. "I'm too old, I'm too fat, I'm too 'whatever' (insert your word of choice here!)"

People, I don't want to hear it!!!

It's not that I don't care about you, but please don't bore me with your excuses. Tell them to yourselves (if you must lie to yourselves in order to face yourself in the morning), but just not to me.

Of course, I don't say this out loud; I just nod politely & try to change the subject.

Change is a conscious choice. And equally true is the fact that you can't make someone do something they don't want to do or make them see an obvious truth staring them in the face that they just don't want to see.

So, my response is usually a non-response. I figure anything I say won't help. As the cliché goes, "actions speak louder than words." Maybe I can inspire them through my actions, maybe not.

Of course, I'd like to see all of my friends and family healthy & happy, and lead long, productive lives. But I'm not going to fall into the common trap of being judgmental, preachy, or didactic. Everyone makes their own choices in life, & there's no sense in overstepping my bounds. I can only control myself & my own actions, give help where appropriate, & in all other cases, wish the best for the people I care about.

So, if you happen to be the one particular good friend of mine (who shall remain unnamed) whom I called out for previous BS workout excuses sometime last month, & happen to be reading this, I apologize for overstepping my bounds. It won't happen again! This is the "new" Corey speaking. 8-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...