Monday, August 20, 2007

0 Run 1, Week 5 (CT5K): A Cold & Rainy Nocturnal Run


Print





If I had to write a pseudo-haiku about today's run, it'd go something like this:

"Today's run
Was not much fun.
I sloshed around in the rain,
Trying to pick up the pace,
But alas, it was in vain.
The trees in front of my path
dipped from the weight of the rain
As I tried to duck around them,
my running form resembled The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

For if I sped up,
I'd slip & land on my face,
And then I'd be out of commission to run a 5K race."

(OK, yes I know there are too many syllables & lines in this poem for it to be considered an actual haiku. ;-) )

Well, if you're still reading this post, thank you for sticking around after that silly poem. ;-)

In a nutshell, here's the scoop on today's run: I started out by walking several laps around the lake. At first, I only intended to do a 15 minute warm-up walk like usual, but got so amped up by the music I was listening to that I decided I absolutely HAD to finish the album before I started my run.

What was I listening to that was so compelling I couldn't turn it off? The Prodigy's "Fat of the Land," which is a personal running favorite. To hear samples from this excellent album of lush electronic soundscapes & bombastic bass 'n' beats, check out my electronica blog, Electrik Muse. (Update, added on 8/28/07: Please note that his blog is no longer active, so check here, on Music Unbound: We Don't Need No Stinkin' Genres!, for the post on The Prodigy.)



Anyhow, back to the story: I got going & really got into the music. And just couldn't stop. My 15-minute walk had turned into a 45-minute walk.

Of course, the irony was that it had just stopped raining while I was walking but then started raining again as soon as it was time for me to start the first running interval of my CT5K workout! That's right, it's "Murphy's Law of Running" at work. ;-)

It was a really cold, rainy run, as it'd already rained earlier in the evening, and the temperature had already dropped considerably, from around 72 degrees Fahrenheit during the day to about 63 degrees or so. It wouldn't have been so bad, had it not been for the on-and-off again drizzling. I'd try to take cover under the tree canopies during the hard downfalls. Every time it'd stop raining, I'd shiver & try to dry off, so as not to turn into a dripping icicle. ;-) There were several moments I seriously thought about stopping & packing it in. It would've been so much easier to just call it quits & head home. Or at least head indoors to my gym & hop on a treadmill to finish the rest of the workout.

Cold & wet isn't exactly a great combination for avoiding respiratory illness, to which I seem particularly susceptible. And I do want to keep on running.

But something in me just forged ahead, despite the rain & my shivering. Perhaps I threw caution to the wind, but ultimately I was determined to get my run in tonight, no matter what.

Then something strange happened. After an initial few minutes of silent grumbling to myself about the weather, things suddenly began to get fun. Rain be damned! I didn't care.

I even distinctly recall enjoying the challenge of the weather, and at one point, said silently inside my head, "Bring it on! Is this the best you can do!?"

The answer I got from the heavens was more rain & lots of wind. At one point there was lightening (I think it was heat lightening), and I realized that perhaps I was getting a bit too cocky for my own good. ;-)



I was already pushing my luck being out in the cold & the rain; what elements did I think I could I withstand next, a hurricane?



Tonight's running program (after the 45-minute walk!) was a brisk, 5-minute warm-up, & then 3 intervals of 5-minute runs alternating with 3-minute walks, & then a 5-minute cool-down walk. I ran rather conservatively, as I was afraid to slip & fall on my face, as stated so eloquently in my lovely little ditty above. ;-) After all, a twisted ankle does not a CT5K finisher make.

I felt that I certainly could've gone faster tonight, & was frankly, rather disappointed in my overall performance. A few minutes into the run, I wondered if I was getting enough out of the workout, as I didn't feel tired. Actually, I didn't feel tired during any point of the run, which concerned me a bit. I kept trying to go a bit faster, & all the while, watching my footing in the semi-darkness & trying to avoid big puddles.

Splish, splash,
I wasn't about to take a bath!

(OK, my little rhyming self is getting a bit too carried away here....)



But as I was saying, I didn't feel winded in the slightest. Unless I am some super-human cyborg & don't know it yet, I'm doubting the usefulness of tonight's workout.

I mean it's now almost 11:30 pm here, & I am still not feeling the effects of my workout yet. Usually I feel some burning sensations in my muscles (the good kind of burn, not pain!), or they feel a bit stretched. But tonight, nothing.

What the heck?!

I didn't exactly feel like I was wussing out, but the run just felt too darn easy. I pushed myself up the hills & my legs felt powerful but didn't tire even after I came down the hills. Am I the bionic woman? Superwoman? A transformer?

I assure you I'm not having illusions of grandeur; I just can't explain tonight.

Well, I hope the next few workouts are harder (Hahaha, never wished that before!) & more of a challenge than tonight's workout. I want to feel like I'm getting SOMETHING out of the workouts.

Happy Trails and To All A Good Night!

Signing off,
Corey the Cyborg
"I'll be baaack." ;-)



P.S. Note to self: Check weather forecast before stepping outside to run! ;-)

P.P.S. Better yet, post weather widget on your blog to make this task unforgettablely obvious to yourself & others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...