Tuesday, September 18, 2007

0 Exercise Psychology Tip #3: How To Deal With Weight Gain


Print





I weighed myself yesterday morning to find that I'd gained 1.9 lbs.! (Yes, I know I didn't post about it. I was reluctant to do so, as it's harder to post the "setbacks"! ;-) )

Later that evening, when I reported my findings to my running buddy during our run, she said that it might be muscle gain. Thank you, my running buddy, for saying that, as that was really a nice, supportive thing to say & exactly what I needed to hear at the moment!

Even though I didn't overeat yesterday & there weren't any other known "issues" going on that would affect my weight, I found myself immediately jumping to conclusions that it was a water or fat gain. (In my experience, such a quick gain is usually either due to water retention or overeating!)

So, I decided to follow my own advice from an earlier post, & checked my head & retooled my thinking! Maybe my friend was right, but still, it was an awful lot of weight gain in a short time-period! (Does anyone know how fast muscle takes to build & how quickly that can translate into weight-gain?)

So I hopped on the scale this morning to see if those numbers had gone down any. They had, but not by much. I went down by 0.6 lbs, but it was still an overall gain of 1.3 lbs.!

OK, I know I probably need to stay off the scale for a while, as I feel myself starting to obsess about it a bit. Definitely am weighing myself a bit too frequently to probably be mentally healthy! Guess I'm just eager to see positive changes, especially after my runs.

Well, there are so many activities planned for the next few days that I'll probably be too busy to weigh myself anyhow.

Note to self: Don't you dare weigh yourself until atleast the beginning of next week! ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------

So, how is this post helpful to you, you might be wondering?! Well, first, it's good to see that there are other humans who are going through the same (or similar) challenges that you might be going through as well.

Also, you'll notice how posting (or just keeping a running journal) helps to alert you to any changes in your mental state or behaviors, so you can catch yourself, like I just did, from going into a potentially counterproductive tail-spin. Then you can quickly formulate a plan of action to get you back on the right track. It's so important to note your mental self-talk & turn it around when it starts becoming counterproductive, so it doesn't become an obstacle to your progress.

And lastly, it's good to see how having supportive friends, ones who cheer you on &/or run with you, can help keep your mind in a positive place! Being running partners with a friend keeps both of you on track, mentally and physically. It's especially good to have a running partner during the first few weeks of your program, particularly in those moments when you feel that you need external reinforcement to keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...