Friday, September 7, 2007

1 The Fastest 5 Minutes of My Life


Print





Tonight I went out for another late-night run. I actually wanted to run earlier, but my body had other plans: My stomach was really upset & I had a really bad headache, so of course I waited for things to improve before heading out for my run. Unfortunately I waited a bit too long, & headed out for my run at 2 am.

Yes, I know, what the hell was I thinking?! I'd gone on runs before around this time, & where I run, there always lots of walking couples around at odd hours of the night or wee hours of the morning, so I usually felt safe.

Well, this time, when I started my run I didn't see anyone out on the trail. However, after I was about 3 minutes into my run, I saw a man about 300 yards (?) in front of me, walking towards me. He was ominously dressed in black, in what looked like a security guard's outfit, which is weird, because as far as I knew, there weren't any security guards hired to patrol this particular area. He was rather big & frankly looked a bit creepy to me, even from 300 yards away, so, rather than take any chances --since it looked like we were apparently the only two people on the trail-- I changed course & darted back home as fast as I could.

He didn't appear to be following me, but I didn't want to take any chances, & so I ran really, really fast towards home. It's at times like these that I usually start thinking about all the movies I'd seen about serial killers & the like. Or lovely thoughts about when crimes are the most likely to occur, etc., etc.

I made it home safely, but I think it was the fastest 5 minutes I've probably ran, ever.

I think, up until now, I just felt way too damn comfortable running on these trails. Tonight shook some sense into me. I will either run earlier, or not at all, even if it means postponing my run until the next day & throwing off my exercise schedule. Safety is just too damn important. Why take unnecessary risks?

Since I'm supposed to meet friends tomorrow for lunch, I think I'll just try to get some sleep (even though my schedule's completely screwed up), & go running tomorrow.

OK, have a good one. G'Night!
-C

1 comment:

Lovebabz said...

I am inspired and I will follow along...until I get tired and go back to well, watching TV Seriously, I am impressed and inspired. You Go Girl!

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...