Wednesday, September 26, 2007

2 Run 2, Week 1 (BOHR): Hills, Hills, & More Hills!


Print





Today I ran around 2:30 pm. It was a muggy 82 degrees. The run was my usual 30-minute run, albeit a very sluggish, difficult run through an exceptionally hilly neighborhood in Pittsburgh.

In a word, the hills kicked my ass. It was the first time in a long time that I was so out of breath that I had to momentarily stop to catch my breath on two occasions. Although I've done hill workouts in the past, there's nothing quite like the experience of running up the hills of Pittsburgh. They are incredibly steep, & often feel like never-ending ascending mountains! (Although I've not yet had the experience of running the hills of San Francisco, I'm sure it's probably very similar!)

My pace was considerably slower today; the combination of the heat & the hills didn't help much to that effect. I felt like at any moment that I was going to melt into the pavement.

Anyhow, the run is over, & I'm very glad of it!

2 comments:

cymrusteve said...

Well done for sticking with it. Hills are tough, but I love them. Growing up in Wales there was a hill in every direction, so you kind of got used to them. Now I live in Virginia Beach which is pancake flat, but I still like to run hilly races when I get the chance.

Stick with it, you're doing great!

cyberpenguin said...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the encouragement! I grew up running around hilly areas too, but not as hilly as the ones I encountered today! ;-) Must've been great training/conditioning to be running all those hills in Wales! Since Virginia is so flat, where do you go when you want to do hill workouts? Or do you just pump up the incline on your treadmill? ;-)

I wonder if Virginia Beach is as flat as places in the middle of the country like Indiana or (Northwestern) Ohio? Have you ever run in any of these places to compare?

Is Virginia Beach flatter than the Washington DC area (i.e., Northern Virginia, counties in central Maryland bordering the Potomac River, or Washington DC?)

-C

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...