Wednesday, September 5, 2007

1 Yahoo! News, You Must Be Reading My Mind. ;-)


Print





If you've visited Yahoo! recently, perhaps you've seen today's front page feature of the 60 Minute's video: History-changing Match.

If you hadn't yet been born in 1973 or were a mere zygote when this match was played (I was only a little tot at the time, but still remember the much-later discussion about the match in our household), let me give you a brief background:

In 1973, Billie Jean King & Bobby Riggs played their historic "Battle of the Sexes" tennis match. Bobby Riggs was as sure as ever that he would beat Billy Jean King. And guess what, she ended up winning! Now of course, Bobby Riggs was 55 & Billy Jean only 30, but it still made a lot of people rethink what women were capable of doing. To quote Billy Jean herself, the match "changed the way men think about women." If you'd like to read more about the match, here's are some good articles about it:

Bobby Riggs vs. Billie Jean King (E-Sortment Feature).

Battle of the Sexes (Wikipedia entry)

Billy Jean Won For All Women (ESPN Sports article)

And Only 34-Years After Billy Jean King Beat Bobby Riggs (New York Times article)

The reason I'm even mentioning the Yahoo! News feature at all, aside from it being very interesting in its own right, is that I had just blogged about this very same topic (i.e., men's attitudes towards women in sports, etc.) only two nights ago. Wow, what a funny coincidence!

Yahoo! News, are you reading my mind?! ;-)

This feature couldn't have been more perfectly timed.....

1 comment:

Shelia said...

Hi CyberPenguin! I was a young one, but I was indeed born. And I do recall the mass all around media coverage, but at the time I didn't get it. You're right though, it still has an overall effect today. We'd need a whole gang of female bloggers to trade stories and tackle this issue. I'm no man hater either, but Jesus if they don't tax your nerves. My husband in particular. Thanks for stopping by to let me know that you put this together. Appreciate it!

Shelia

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...