Wednesday, October 17, 2007

1 Eating Like A Normal Person Again


Print



If you've been following along thus far & keeping up with the storyline of my blog, you'll already know that, after several weeks of running, I've been struggling to regain my appetite & eat normally again. For those who are just tuning in, I'll just say that running had completely eradicated my appetite for a while & my hunger signals were very screwed up & sometimes basically non-existent. At the same time, I'm trying to lose weight (or more accurately, body fat!) for health & fitness reasons, but I want to lose it the healthy way -- gradually & by exercising moderately & eating healthy meals on a regular basis.

Well, the good news is that it looks like I'm finally starting to eat normally again & the hunger signals are slowly returning. Phew! The only problem is that I've gained a bit of weight in the process (0.6 pounds to be exact), which I'm hoping is only temporary, because otherwise I'm not going to want to eat "normally" again. :-)

Now, before you go jumping to conclusions about me being a candidate for anorexia nervosa, I will state for the record that I'm a sane individual & not in denial. ;-) No, I haven't suddenly acquired an eating disorder, but what I mean is that it's going to be even harder to get back to normal eating behaviors if this is what I'm going to have to put up with, notwithstanding!

Perhaps some of the weight gain over the past 5 days is muscle mass, but since it's been such a short time frame, who the heck knows. Does anyone know how long it takes to build muscle mass for a 30-something female with a small to medium body frame? How much muscle mass gain is to be expected? When I get the chance, I'll do some research on this topic. In the meanwhile, if any sports/fitness experts out there want to answer my questions, please feel free. I'd greatly appreciate the helpful advice & info!

What I do know is that I woke up this morning feeling tired but thankfully not sore at all, from the previous night's workout. My body definitely needed to rest, so I'm going to take it slow with today's strength workout. We'll start with some sit-ups, & go from there.....

But back to food & nutrition, I think that it's important to feed your muscles & the rest of your body, so I'm going to try my best to get back to eating 3 small nutritious meals interspersed with 3 (nutritious) snacks. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

RunJulieRun said...

Nutrition is so important when you work out! I can't imagine running and not being hungry though--give me 30 minutes to an hour after my run and I'm hungry!

Since you are a fellow foodie, have you read Chris Carmichael's "5 Ingredients of a Winning Life"? He has a lot of good ideas and good recipies. His books really made me think about making the nutrient dense choice and think about adding some foods back to my diet that I had removed--nuts and dried fruit, for example.

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...