Wednesday, October 3, 2007

3 Long-Term Goal Review: Am I On Target?


Print



Here are the original long-term goals I stated at the outset of my fitness/nutrition journal:

(1) Lose 25 pounds in the next 4-6 months (by Valentine's Day at the latest).
(2) Complete the CT5K program in 9 weeks/2 months (by September 21st).
(3) Follow the Abs Diet Plan for 6 weeks (concurrent with exercise plan).
(4) Lift free-weights once a week, beginning the week of July 22.

After completing these goals, here's my next tier of goals:
(1) In October, start on new training plan (5K-->marathon training).
(2) Run outside until November/December. Then move indoors for gym workouts -- Continue interval training alternating equipment: treadmill, stairmaster, bike. For weight-lifting regimen: Circuit train using nautilus equipment.
(3) In April (2008), enter 5K races.
(4) By June (2008), enter 10K races.
(5) By October (2008), enter half-marathon races.

Additional notes (from original post): After reaching the first set of goals, I'll see where I am on the calendar. If necessary, I'll re-evaluate the timeline for the second tier of goals. I think this is a good start, with specific, measurable, realistic goals.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY LONG-TERM FITNESS & NUTRITION GOAL PROGRESS REPORT :

FIRST-TIER GOALS (7/21-9/21/07):



(1) Lose 25 pounds in the next 4-6 months (by Valentine's Day at the latest).
Goal Assessment: I'm currently on track/schedule with this goal. Although I don't currently have access to a scale where I'm currently staying in Pittsburgh, I know that I've lost atleast 11 pounds in the first 2 months, & am certain that, over the past 2 weeks, I've lost even more. The pair of slacks I packed for my Pittsburgh trip, which fit me at the outset of my trip, are now too big on me, & gape at the waist & hips. I'm happy to report that I can now fit into size small & extra-small in T-shirts (depending on the cut & style), & size small in dresses. Yipee! But really, all I have to do is look in the mirror to notice the changes.
Reassessment Plan of Action: Find more hills! The Pittsburgh hill workouts appear to have accelerated my weight-loss even faster & of course, have also greatly improved my fitness level. So, when I return home, you better believe that I am definitely going to seek out the hilliest terrain I can find for my upcoming workouts. ;-)

(2) Complete the CT5K program in 9 weeks/2 months (by September 21st).
Goal Assessment: Achieved!
Reassessment Plan of Action: N/A. Completed & am moving on to my next running program.

(3) Follow the Abs Diet Plan for 6 weeks (concurrent with exercise plan).
Goal Assessment:
Basically achieved, but not to the letter, as I've not followed their exact meal plans, with the exception of breakfast.
Reassessment Plan of Action: I've already covered this ground in my short-term goals, so no need to regurgitate that here.

(4) Lift free-weights once a week, beginning the week of July 22.
Goal Assessment: Failed miserably! Did zero strength-training over the last 2 months.
Reassessment Plan of Action: Again, as I've already covered this area, please see the post about my short-term goals for this information.

SECOND-TIER GOALS (9/23/07-10/31/08):
(1) In October, start on new training plan (5K-->marathon training).
Goal Assessment: Achieved! While the name of my next training program is not entitled "5K to marathon" ;-), I began the next step on the road to my marathon training -- becoming a one hour runner (BOHR). The BOHR running plan will take my running time to 1 hour, or about 6 miles.
Reassessment Plan of Action: After I complete the BOHR running plan, the plan is to train for 10 miles, & then a half-marathon. Once I reach the half-marathon distance, I'll keep working my way up, to 15 miles, then 18 miles, then 20 miles, etc. Then, if I'm feeling particularly peppy, I might even see if I can run 26 miles on a Saturday or Sunday, just to see if I can complete the entire distance. Granted, I won't be running for prizes or money ;-), but I'd like to see how I fare running such a distance before actually entering an official race. While I know that it's generally not necessary or even recommended to run the full 26-mile-distance before running a marathon, I might just run the distance for the heck of it. Of course, it's a bit premature to be thinking about stuff like this so early on in my training program, as it all depends on where I am in my next 6-9 months of training. Most likely, I'll reassess the practicality of this idea at a later point, probably after doing further reading on marathon training! ;-) While I've read about marathon training in the past, it was mostly done with the mindset of someone who would eventually run a marathon, not someone who was going to run a marathon in the next year or two! When I've reached the half-marathon point, I plan to start reading marathon-training articles with much greater retention in mind!

(2) Run outside until November/December. Then move indoors for gym workouts -- Continue interval training alternating equipment: treadmill, stairmaster, bike. For weight-lifting regiment: Circuit train using nautilus equipment.
Goal Assessment: N/A, for the first part. Thankfully, haven't reached the point where I have to go inside just yet. After all, I don't want to exercise indoors any sooner than is absolutely necessary! As for the second part, I actually have to start my weight-lifting regimen first before I can continue it in November/December! ;-)
Reassessment Plan of Action: N/A. It's a bit too early to assess or reassess.

(3) In April (2008), enter 5K races.
Goal Assessment: N/A. It's only October 2007.
Reassessment Plan of Action: Although I could enter 5K races at this point, I frankly would rather work up to about 10K, improve my pace, & then try for 5K races. My reasoning is that I'd like to increase my stamina by running longer distances, & then use the shorter distances to work on pace. If I can run a 10K at a decent clip, then 5K will be a no-brainer. ;-) There are several studies showing that training for longer distances can dramatically improve your shorter-distance race times. (Also, the weight training I plan to do should give me extra power I need for shorter distances.)

(4) By June (2008), enter 10K races.
Goal Assessment: N/A.
Reassessment Plan of Action: N/A. Too far away to assess or even reassess. ;-)

(5) By October (2008), enter half-marathon races.
Goal Assessment: N/A. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Reassessment Plan of Action: N/A. Too far away to assess or even reassess. ;-)

So far, I'm on track/schedule with most of my long-term goals, with the exception of my strength-training goals, which I plan to rectify in the upcoming months.

3 comments:

steve said...

Great work Corey! Keep up the good work with your goals....

I'm in the same boat with the strength training. I really should make more of an effort with strength work, but it just doesn't come as natural for me as going for a run....

Safe trip home,

--Steve

cyberpenguin said...

Thanks, Steve! Appreciate the support & encouragement, & of course, always enjoy hearing your thoughts about running/fitness & other topics!

Your experience rings true for many runners! I also find running much more enjoyable than lifting, but like you, recognize its importance.

I used to lift weights more regularly, & as of this Wednesday, am making an effort to recommit to strength training. Once a week isn't much, but it's a start, & is certainly better than nothing!

Did you used to lift more regularly as well, or has it mostly been an on & off thing for you?

Good luck with your efforts to increase your strength-training!

Thanks again for your comments!
-C

cymrusteve said...

more of an on and off thing for me. to be honest, the only time I was committed to strength training was the year I trained for an Ironman (2004). I think I was more scared than anything, but "lifted" religiously twice a week....

Will be in touch soon. Keep up the good work :)

--Steve

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...