Thursday, October 25, 2007

0 Run 2, Week 5 (BOHR): It's Rainy & Cold Outside, But Sunny On The Inside!


Print





Went running tonight around 8 pm & ran my longest run yet -- 48 minutes.

I was only supposed to run 32 minutes today, but since I ran out the door without first checking how many minutes I was supposed to run, I sorely miscalculated my guess-timatation by a whopping 16 minutes! ;-) How I guessed that I was supposed to run for 45 minutes today is beyond me!

The only sensible explanation I can think of is this: Wishful thinking! ;-) Apparently my mind & body are actually on Week 7, although in reality I'm actually only supposed to be on Week 5! ;-)

My body feels fine with the extra time thus far, so I'm just going to continue running a little bit longer each day, according to how I feel on that particular day. The long, slow runs are especially great for calorie burning, so I'm pumped to keep up the progress, although I still want to be careful & pace myself properly; plus, it's always important to listen to your body. For tomorrow's run, I'll probably run somewhere between 40 and 48 minutes again. We'll see how I feel....

The good news about me "skipping ahead & feeling fine" is that it means that my body's physical conditioning has improved considerably -- faster than anticipated -- and the mind is right there, accepting it all & loving every moment! 8-)

I have to say, I'm very stoked about the idea of completing this particular running program (BOHR). While the runs aren't always easy, I am very eager to make progress & can't wait to become a one hour runner!!!! ;-) It's like I'm the little engine that could, & I'm going to "I-think-I-can, I-think-I-can" all the way to the end of this program!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who regularly read my blog, you might've noticed that I didn't post yesterday as expected. Yes, I was supposed to run yesterday (i.e., Wednesday) but kept postponing my run, waiting for the drizzling rain to lift. Today, was pretty much a repeat of yesterday's weather, except that thankfully the rain slowed & lightened to a wet cold mist. I knew that there wasn't any sense in waiting much longer to run, especially since the forecast calls for rain for the remainder of the week. So, it was now or never.

Of course, I wasn't looking forward to tonight's run in the wet & the cold, since these weather conditions often lead to sickness. However, since I skipped yesterday, I knew I'd have to run today & tomorrow back to back to get my 3 weekly runs in, as I won't be able to run this Saturday.

I'll admit, it wasn't pleasant at all, atleast not for the first 25 minutes or so. People coming out of the surrounding local restaurants were looking at me like I was insane, or perhaps insanely dedicated, to run at night in such miserable weather. ;-) I didn't pay them any mind, instead choosing to chuckle inwardly at their amusing reactions.

I figure that I can't always run in perfect conditions, and since the upcoming marathon training isn't exactly going to be a walk in the park, that the experience would only help to toughen/prepare me to run under any circumstances.

So there I was, trudging along, grinning & baring it, running at a moderate, comfortable pace. And then something very strange happened around the 30-minute mark. The song "Move Any Mountain" by the Shamen came on & suddenly I felt a surge of energy.

For you clueless ones out there who don't follow music sub-cultures at all, this song was a fairly popular hit on the dance/electronica/college music charts back in the early 90's. The lyrics & the music are really uplifting & energizing; I'm not sure how many bpm it was, but the song certainly got me going at a fairly decent clip. Below is a video of the song:



Anyhow, as I was saying, I felt this incredible runner's high come over me in a big, rushing tidal wave of positive emotion & energy. At first it manifested itself inwardly as a tiny smile, and then as the little ripples of inner & outer warmth began to build inside my body, it went wild & spiked into a wide outward grin. I just couldn't contain myself. In fact, I was feeling so great at that particular moment that I didn't give a flying fig about the icky weather around me. It was amazing.

Best of all, I surprised myself by running longer & doing more mileage than I'd done previously, as compared to my last several weeks of running. I'm not exactly sure, but I think I ran somewhere between 4 & 5 miles. Yea! What a fantastic new milestone/breakthrough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...