Saturday, October 20, 2007

4 Run 3, Week 4 (BOHR): A Run Is Just A Run Is Just A Run Is Just A Run!


Print





Erik & I went for a run in an old favorite location around 11 am today. He ran for about 30 minutes total & I ran, as scheduled, for 35 minutes total. We ran around a picturesque man-made lake, which was ironically teeming with nature & natural beauty. I guess the wildlife doesn't really care who made the lake, just as long as it feels like home. ;-)

It was a beautiful sunny day & the temperature was about 65-68 degrees. Of course, it felt wonderful & warm in the sun & slightly cold & breezy in the shade.

The day felt even more beautiful because we were in such beautiful surrounding. Weeping willows & vibrant fall trees gracefully frame the lake. And underneath them are swans, geese, & mallards, and turtle families on logs. (A lone blue heron also calls this lake home, although we didn't see him today.) All of the serene images make for a picture postcard moment.

The same could not be said for my run. It was yet another slow, perfunctory run, as I was once again -- surprise, surprise! -- feeling tired & low-energy. (I just bought huge bottles of iron & B-complex vitamins today, so hopefully that'll help some.)

To make things worse, after downing a bottle of water before the run (big mistake!), nature was calling for us both & a bathroom was nowhere in sight. Every bounce up & down just made the feeling worse, as it felt like a seismic wave of liquid jiggling inside. Not the most conducive circumstances for running at a decent pace.

After taking care of the above, Erik had a much better run than me, as it's easier for a man to do what a man has to do, if you get my drift. ;-)

Furthermore, my mind & body just weren't into the idea of running today, but I ran anyhow because I knew it was up to me to do it regardless of the resistance coursing through every fiber of my being. So, notwithstanding my less-than-enthusiastic attitude & tired bod, I simply ran today's run just to run it & get it over with as soon as possible.

It's so important not to play mind-games with ourselves, get past the emotional & mental crapola we are thrusting out of our heads at any particular moment, & just get it done. That's the one thing that actors, soldiers, & athletes share in common. ;-) When the lights come up, it's game-time, & the show must go on, there are no do-overs. (Gee, look how I managed to fit several cliches into a single sentence! ;-) )

But seriously, athletes can't afford to play mind games with themselves. Mind games threaten to derail our progress. And we can't have that, now can we?!

I'll be blunt: Some days (or in my case, weeks!) the runs are slow, the energy is non-existent & the pace is glacial, but I just pound out the run anyhow. Like today.

Oh well, atleast my OCD-like tendancies are finally doing me some good, other than compelling me to reorganize my sock drawer, kitchen, & entire wardrobe closet. It's imperative that I run a minimum of run 3 times a week, or I won't be able to face myself in the morning....

OK, I'm only slightly kidding about the OCD-like tendancies, but I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times: Running is addictive. And after a while, you feel compelled to run. That about sums it up for me.

Tomorrow is another day. And thankfully a day of rest at that! ;-)

4 comments:

Abimars said...

just to say a big thank you for your encouraging words.It's really made me think, I've taken the first step and actually put up a photo on my blog, and on a lighter note, ever heard of the she wee, www.shewee.com, lol!

cymrusteve said...

Mind games. Don't you just love mind games?! Some days a run is the last thing I want to do, but 99% of the time, once I'm out the front door, those thoughts are a distant memory.

Wish I thought the same about strength and ab work of course :)

--Steve

cyberpenguin said...

Abi,
You're very welcome! Glad to cheer you on! Just checked your blog again, & it looks like you're making great progress! Yea!

BTW, the aforementioned link: Hahahaha! I cannot stop laughing! 8-)

-C

P.S. Thanks for the podrunner recommendation. I'll definitely check it out. I too found the Couch to 5K podcasts a bit tame/slow & repetitive at times, & had been looking more exciting music for the CT5K runs. Sounds great!

cyberpenguin said...

Steve,

Yes, that's very true. I also find that it's much easier to get going once the feet have moved out the door. On some days, it doesn't necessarily mean that the runs will be any easier (!), but the attitude usually improves after the endorphins kick in, eh?! ;-)

Regarding the abs & strength exercises, maybe a gigantic carrot on a stick (or better yet, a large boot applied in the proper area) would help motivate both of us?! ;-)

As you know, I'm not exactly the one to ask for advice in this department! Hahahaha! Of course, I can always offer my support (& comiseration!). ;-)

Maybe we just need to keep checking up on each other like it's blogger bootcamp.

We can comment on each other sites & say things like, "How's the non-existent strength workout going?" Hahahaha.

Time to check it on your blog & see how the marathon prep's going!

Have a good night!
-C

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...