Friday, November 2, 2007

0 Run 3, Week 6 (BOHR): Last Run in The Sun


Print





Today was our last run in sunny Palm Springs. Abby decided to sleep in today, so it was just Erik & me today. We started our workout around 8:10 am, & ran together for an hour before Erik stopped & walked. I kept going for a total of 1 hour & 12 minutes. It was a very slow, easy run.

With about two miles to go, Erik told me he'd run the entire hour with me, provided I didn't increase my pace. The only problem was that I felt like a stable of wild horses at several moments during the last two miles or so, & it was really hard for me to hold back. Also, a woman runner suddenly appeared a few hundred yards ahead, running a very moderate pace, & I knew I could take her if I only sped up a bit. The anticipation & excitement began to well up inside of me, as I considered taking on this emerging challenge. The competitor in me couldn't hold back anymore & I just couldn't take it any longer, so I broke ranks with Erik, & sped ahead like a horse bursting forth out of the starting gate at the race track.

I did feel somewhat badly about it, but I just couldn't help myself! ;-) However, upon looking back & seeing Erik come to a complete stop, I doubled back & ran in his direction, shrugging my shoulders at him. I asked him why he'd stopped, but of course I already knew the answer. ;-) Then I promised that this time, I'd slow down & run our original pace, at which point he started running again & finished out the remainder of the hour with me.

In the last twelve minutes of my run (without Erik), I must admit that I couldn't wait to speed up again! I ran a lot faster, doing my usual route through the golf course path, sprinting past the pool to the gate at the far end of the complex, & then doubling back to the lamp post just beyond the pool area. I sprinted full out from the gate to the lamp post past the pool.

All in all the run was good, albeit my pace suffered as a result of drinking too much water before going out this morning. It seems like there's a delicate balance between drinking enough water to stay hydrated versus that uncomfortable feeling caused by feeling like you need to make a pitstop about 10 minutes into your run. Of course, you can't stop & need to keep going, but I find it really puts a crimp in my pace, atleast until I can refocus my energies elsewhere, or actually find an indoor facility in which to stop & solve the problem! ;-)

Maybe Erik was right about pacing, because when I started to increase my pace on the golf course, something weird happened in my right knee - I felt two slight throbs & winced a bit. This was the first time in weeks that I'd felt this way. I didn't stop, but rather shifted to running on the grass, which felt much better. Thankfully, the sensation subsided & felt fine for the remainder of the run.

Of course, I want to be able to run for a long time without injury, so it's important "not to be an idiot," to quote Erik. ;-)

OK, I'm going to put my ego on a shelf & probably my competitiveness as well, to avoid doing myself in! ;-) These are quite often the "demons" that plague runners & cause injury, especially in the last few miles of a race.

Of course, competitiveness can be a healthy thing too, but in my case, I don't need to be doing anything stupid that puts my knee(s) in jeopardy this early in the game.

So, I'm going to scale back the competitive urges & those "wild horses" in me, atleast for the initial training period. Never thought that those runner highs would challenge me that way. Funny thing.

Thanks, everyone, for your supportive comments & recent visits to my blog. I promise to respond to your comments upon my return home. Hope you all had a great week of running &/or relaxation! ;-)

Have a nice weekend!
-C

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...