Wednesday, January 2, 2008

4 Exercise Psychology Tip #10: Excellent Article On Mental Toughness from The Runner's Gazette


Print



I found this excellent article on how runners can build mental toughness, written by Jack Heath of the Runner's Gazette. I found it to be a worthwhile read & hopefully you will too!

My pal Cymrusteve will probably delight in seeing yet another mention of Gerry Lindgren in this article, of whom he just wrote about in a recent blog post.

In fact, Cymrusteve had recently written to me on this very topic (i.e., about Gerry Lindgren & mental toughness), so it's a timely mention indeed. ;-)

And on a related note, I just dug up this amazing quote from Steve Prefontaine:

"Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts."

4 comments:

cymrusteve said...

Oh, you're spoiling me with the links and the mental toughness posts. I'm off to check the Jack Heath article - I'm sure it will be a good one!

I love the Prefontaine quote too - it's one of the random quotes I feature in the right sidebar of my cymru66.com blog. Good choice!

--Steve

cyberpenguin said...

Great! Hope you enjoy the article.

Wow, I didn't even see this Steve Prefontaine quote on your cymru66.com blog. Guess great minds think alike! Hahahaha. ;-)

Eric Gervase said...

‘The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare.’”

Classic... I love it. It's my new mantra. I'm not sure I believe in toughness. But, maybe it's just semantics. I like the way it was described as "confidence". That seems more accurate to me.

cyberpenguin said...

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your comments! Glad you enjoyed the article.

Yes, "confidence" would definitely be an element in the equation of what makes a gutsy runner. I think it goes hand in hand with words like mental "fortitude" or "strength." ;-) These words certainly sound better than the word, "toughness," which is certainly a harsher/stricter-sounding word! ;-)
Your way of describing it certainly makes it sound more appealing.

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...