Wednesday, January 2, 2008

2 Fun & Fascinating Facts About Marathoning


Print



As I was scanning the web, looking for potential races to enter, I came upon the Anthracite Running Club (which is based in Schuylkill County, PA). On their front page, they have some amazing statistics & fascinating facts (i.e., "Funky Running Facts") about marathoning/running, which I thought I'd reprint here for your amusement:

Most Marathons Completed: Horst Preisler of Germany, who completed 949 marathons between 1974 and March 2000.

Most Marathon Competitors: 38,706, in the Boston Marathon on April 15, 1996.

Fastest Marathon: (Men) Paul Tergat, 2:04.55. (Women) Paula Radclife, 2:15.25.

Fastest Half Marathon: (Men) Haile Gebrselassie, 58 min. 55 sec. (Womens) Paula Radcliffe, 65 min. 40 sec.

Oldest Female Marathon Finisher: Jenny Wood-Allen (of Dundee, Scotland), age 87, in a time of 7:14.46.

(In case you were wondering who the oldest male marathoner in the world was, it's Fauja Singh, age 94, from Ilford, Essex, in a time of 4:16:24. Don't know why this fact wasn't included in the club's "Funky Running Facts" as well, but I was curious, & so I looked it up on the internet!)

Longest Distance Covered in One Hour: (Men) Arturo Barrios, 13 miles 197 yards. (Women) Tegla Loroupe, 11 Miles 697.4 Yards.

Highest Marathon: Biennial Everest Marathon, which begins at 17,100 feet and ends at 11,300 feet. Fastest time, 3:56.10.

For more fun & fascinating facts about marathoning, check out this site.

2 comments:

cymrusteve said...

Love the funky facts!

Paula Radcliffe is my favorite athlete, so I'm glad she got a double mention.

I also remember posting about Fauja Singh a while ago too:

http://www.cymru66.com/?p=65

Anyone else have any funky running facts?

Resilient Hawk said...

I have big hopes for Ryan Hall. He seems to be not just an amazing runner, but a class act in all regards. I'd love to see a Haile Gebrselassie/Hall showdown, though Hall might need a year or two to catch up.

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...