Saturday, January 5, 2008

4 Weigh-In: Lowest Body Fat Percentage Measurement Yet!


Print





After tonight's run, I stepped on the scale. It's been several days since my last weigh-in, & was curious to see if my consistent running as of late had made any difference in my body fat percentage measurements.

Well, I'm happy to say that tonight's readout was the lowest measurement yet. Over the last 6 days, I lost another 1.7% body fat. I'm almost at the point where I'm not embarrassed to reveal the number. Almost.

That doesn't mean I'll be revealing those numbers anytime soon, mind you, but I will say this: I'm only a few percentage points away from reaching another milestone.

And as far as that other number's concerned -- i.e., my body weight, (which I'm actually much less concerned about!), that number went down too: I lost 1.2 pounds. Well, big whoop-de-doo, as I've been teetering back & forth on the scale, between a few pounds lost & gained, so this number doesn't really mean all that much to me. ;-)

I've pretty much stopped caring altogether about the number on the scale & instead pay attention to the body fat percentage readouts. It just feels much healthier, mentally-speaking.

Also, just to put things in perspective, I realize that it's not what I accomplish in a day or a week, but the cumulative effort I put into my running, that will ultimately make me the happiest. So I try to focus on that instead. The rest of the weight loss will come, but I don't want to focus too much on it right now.

That being said, I will still record an occasional weigh-in & body fat percentage readout, mostly as a means of making sure that I stay on track with my goals.

Of course the good news is that there's an overall downward trend where my body fat percentage is concerned. And that's something to be happy about.

All of the hard work is paying off, not only in terms of body fat percentage loss, but also in terms of overall athletic performance. Yea!!!!!!

4 comments:

cymrusteve said...

Excellent news!! Downward trends are definitely the way to go....fantastic!

Being lighter and having less body fat/more muscle will make you a faster runner too. Keep up the great work!

--Steve

greg said...

Good for you! Keep on kickin it.

Blaine Moore said...

I weigh myself every morning, and the numbers are accurate now that I have a digital scale. My last scale, though, I used to purposefully keep from getting zeroed, because I don't really care what the number is, I only care what the trend is.

If I lose or gain weight rapidly and consistently for a couple of days in a row, then I know that I am getting sick and I can dial back my training and modify my diet appropriately. My trends throughout the year tend to stick w/i a couple of pounds the entire year, so it works as a great early warning system.

cyberpenguin said...

Thanks, Greg! Looks like you're having a great year so far from the runs you've logged on your blog. I noticed you've been running almost every day. Wow!

Cymrusteve, that's exactly what's motivating me too -- Faster times! Congrats on your excellent job in yesterday's race & for finishing 2nd in your age group. Wow!

Blaine, I use a digital scale too. That's a great idea to use the scale as a measurement for training & health, versus how many others use the scale - as masochistic mental torture! ;-) Hahahaha, just kidding.

But seriously, I completely agree with your philosophy. The scale is best used to keep track of the overall trends & as an early detection system for health issues. That's the healthiest way to use the scale.

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...