Friday, February 8, 2008

12 Coming Up For Air


Print



Hello All,

I've been bedridden for the past several days with what appears to either be bronchitis or possibly the flu. Whatever this illness is, it's totally drained me of my energy; I've been feeling so weak that it's been hard to even sit up, let alone get out of bed.

Frankly, I've never felt so utterly exhausted before from being sick. Usually, during an illness of this nature, I can atleast manage to get out of bed to get a bite to eat or go to the bathroom, but this time around, it's been hard to manage even these few simple things over the last few days.

In fact, this morning's been the first time I've had enough energy to leave the confines of my bed for longer than a minute or two. In the span of the last three days, I think I've managed to check my email twice (which includes today), and due to the severity of my illness, have only been able to respond to correspondence of the most vital nature.

Over the past few days, I've basically been doing nothing but sleeping. It's been several hours of sleep, with minor intervals of waking and then falling back asleep again. I'll spare you the other details of my sickness, as it hasn't exactly been pretty. It's obviously not exactly been "fun and games" lately.

The whole thing began when I started feeling not-so-good on Tuesday morning. Upon waking that day, I'd noticed that my energy was a little bit lower than usual, but thought nothing of it at the time. Just thought that it'd been due to stress and the related lack of sleep problem. My friend and I still ran later that night (yes, there's been no blog entry yet about this - - Gee, I wonder why?!). Then, almost immediately afterward, I began feeling feverish and very shaky -- all hot-and-cold. Once I started to get the chills and then the cold sweats, then I knew I was getting sick right there and then. Of course I bagged my solo run, went straight home, hopped in bed and watched a bit of TV, and then slept non-stop for several hours.

Fast-forward to Wednesday afternoon. Things weren't getting better; they first got worse. To make matters even more challenging, I had a phone interview scheduled for 1 pm on that day. Thankfully, my voice was not completely shot at that point, (atleast I could speak without sounding like a croaking frog), but it took everything I had to just hold a conversation and keep up my usual levels of energy and enthusiasm. I slumped over exhausted after the phone call, and yes, you guessed it, went right back to sleep. Of course, the interviewer probably had no idea that I was in the throes of a full-blown sickness, and I didn't think it would serve the conversation in any way to mention that little factoid. Some people might perceive as an "excuse" or "issue," so best not to go there.

As you can imagine, it's been tremendously difficult to carry on with my job search, as not only have I been dealing with low energy reserves but barely have much of a voice left.

Most of Thursday was spent in bed. Thursday night, Erik finally forced me to eat something other than the occasional grapefruit wedge, which had left my stomach in a bad state. (An empty stomach can already be acidic, so it wasn't the best thing to add more acid to the mix. Thought the vitamin C would help, but at the time, hadn't considered the other potential effects of eating citrus fruit.) He made me some soup, which I sipped slowly, turned over to one side on the bed. The soup turned my stomach a bit, but I forced myself to eat it. It gave me a bit more energy, and I was thankful that Erik was there to take care of me.

The good news is that today I'm finally starting to feel much better. Not 100% just yet, but it's a marked improvement that I even have the energy to get out of bed and type this.

So, that obviously explains my recent "disappearance" from the blogosphere.

OK, now I'm heading back to bed again to rest. See ya.

12 comments:

Abimars said...

Go back to bed!!! you shouldn't even have put up this post untill you were 100% fit!!!
Hope you feel better soon. We miss you loads

Abi

Gillie said...

I'm glad that you're starting to feel a little better. It sounds like whatever you had really knocked you out. Take it easy and once you feel better, don't try and do too much too soon. Dave

Calabar Gal said...

You poor dear. Hope you get better soon. Wishing you a speedy recovery, Corey. Best Wishes. Cheers.

Dane said...

Here's wishing for the speediest of recoveries.

cyberpenguin said...

Abi, Dave, Calabar Girl, & Dane,

Thanks so much for your get-well wishes. I really do appreciate your warmth & sincerity. Miss chatting with all of you as well!

Call it an impatience to run or an eagerness to get better (health-wise, that is), but this is one of those times when I ironically really yearn to run, as I'm now well enough to get out of bed, but not quite well enough to run yet. There's the obvious desire to maintain fitness, especially after all of the hard work, plus all of the other obvious reasons. So, just be glad you're all out there running right now (even if some of you are in fact freezing your rear ends off outside!). Hope to be joining all of you soon!

OK, think I'm going to take Abi's sage advice now & will return to bed to rest for another unspecified number of hours. ;-)

Stay well & hope you are all enjoying your running!
-C

tootie said...

Feel better soon!!

Blaine Moore said...

I'm sorry that you aren't feeling better. I hope that you get well soon and recovery is speedy from here on out.

cymrusteve said...

Corey,

Hope you're back to full strength very soon! Take as long as you need and don't rush the mini-comeback.

My wife came down with something similar last Friday, which knocked her out for several days too - no energy, totally wiped out and unable to eat. She's over the worst of it, but still not 100%.

Take care and I'll be looking out for more posts when you're back up and running so to speak.

--Steve

cyberpenguin said...

Tootie, Blaine, & Steve,

Thanks so much for your get well-wishes!

Steve, I sincerely hope your wife feels better soon. Has she been to the doctor's yet?

There's definitely something going around [Erik also has it now too :-( ], so please stay well everyone!

-Corey

cymrusteve said...

Hey Corey,

Hope Erik feels better soon. How are you doing now?

Allyson went back to work yesterday and is almost back to full strength.

Several people had had it at the cross country race on Saturday, so as you say, there's definitely something going around!

Take it easy...

--Steve

Vikram Madan said...

Hi Corey,

Get well soon!

Vikram

cyberpenguin said...

Hi Steve,
Glad to hear Allyson's feeling much better! Thanks for asking about Erik & myself; we're both feeling much better now. Hope you're staying well!
-C

Vikram,
Thanks so much for your get-well wishes. Am feeling much better now! Hope you're doing well & staying healthy!
-C

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...