Friday, February 29, 2008

5 Weigh-In: More Rest and Some Weight Gain


Print



Hi All,

Just checking in for a quick "Hello!" Hope you are all doing well!

Not much to report on the running front, as I haven't exactly been doing much of that lately!;-) The lungs are still giving me a run for my money & am still struggling to get better. And since the last running effort seemed to make things feel worse & not better, I'm resolved to take the advice of many of my fellow runner-bloggers (Abi, Steve, Eric G., Blaine, Tim, Dave G., et al) & not run until I'm physically/mentally ready & feel 100% better. Will probably go for a walk at some point, but right now it's my prerogative to milk the rest period for all it's worth!



Weighed myself a few days ago (i.e., around 4 days ago or so) & not surprisingly, all the weight I lost during my sickness has, of course, returned, & then some. Using the figures from my last weigh-in on 2/3/08, I've gained about 4.4 lbs. Yikes! Thankfully, my BF% hasn't skyrocketed along with that, which is, of course, the good news. It's still relatively low. Only up by a mere 0.6%, which is a bright spot in this otherwise "cloudy day" of a report. ;-)

I'm still well within a healthy weight according to the usual standard height & weight charts, but it's still no picnic. OK, bad choice of analogies there. ;-) Nonetheless, you get my point.

I'm going to put a stop to the weight gain & have made up my mind to nip that little issue in the bud before it gets out of control. All the same, I have to cut myself some slack because I've been sick for weeks, and haven't exactly had a lot of energy for moving. (Well, now that's an understatement. Actually, I feel like a two-toed sloth or a slimy, slow-moving little slug. But enough dramatizations, let's get down to business.....)

Still, I can't continue in this direction, because it'll ultimately be my un-doing.

Am eating mostly healthy foods, but of course, it's the lack of moving that's killing my weight maintenance. Am finding that it's been helping to drink lots of fluids, & eat fibrous foods (i.e., lots of veggies!) to fill up faster. That way, I don't reach for the sugary or carb-laden snacks as much. For some reason, I've been craving steamed vegetables (i.e., cauliflower, steamed cabbage, etc.) a lot lately. Been gravitating mostly towards steamed versus raw veggies because, when sickness ravages your throat & lungs, it's easier to eat/digest the steamed stuff. Goes down more easily.

All in all, am finding that it can certainly be a challenge when the appetite returns but the energy doesn't! ;-) Not that I magically expect the energy levels to return all on their own, but I'm going to do my best to try not eat more than I can burn off. Or atleast if I'm not yet able to run, then I'll need to make an effort to walk, move, or do something to get going again. It's not so much of a problem with inertia or motivation per se, it's actually my lungs, which are still not clear. I've still got a cold & a little bit of a cough I'm try to beat as well. If these issues don't get better by next week, I'm going to go to the doctor, to see what can be done about it. In the meanwhile, I've formulated a "plan of attack," which consists of trying to garner my strength & fortify my immune system. In addition to just "taking it easy," have started up with the battery of vitamins & Airborne again, so hopefully that -- combined with rest, lots of fluids, and healthy/nutritious foods -- will do the trick. Am absolutely sick of being sick! ;-) Can't wait to feel better, & am excited for the spring weather to arrive!

5 comments:

Eric Gervase said...

How's the job search coming? Any good news? Don't worry about the weight gain, it'll come right off when you get a little more active.

cyberpenguin said...

Hi Eric,
Nice to hear from you again! Thanks for asking about the job search. Got a second interview this Monday, so keep your fingers & toes crossed for me. I really want this particular job, so hopefully things will work out.

Actually, I'm not worried about the weight gain, even though I probably should be. ;-) Like you've said, I figure that it'll come off when I get moving again.

Congrats on your finish in your recent race. That's excellent! You must be pretty stoked about it, eh?!

-C

Eric Gervase said...

Not a PR, but cool none the less.

Gillie said...

Hi Corey,
Keep hanging in there. It sounds like you have what ever is going around in my office. I've never seen it like this with so many people sick and out for long periods of time. I know that you'll eventually come around and use this as a motivator to get back to where you were and beyond. Keep writing though even if you have no runs to write about. I miss that!
Dave

cyberpenguin said...

Hi Eric,
Yes, very cool indeed! 8-)
-C
-----------------------------

Hi Dave,

Thanks! Nice to hear from you! Appreciate your support so much.

So how are things going for you, running & otherwise? Hope you're doing well!

Yes, it certainly does seem like a particular virulent strain of some kind of virus or bacteria that's been going around, that's affected people in various parts of the country. Hopefully, you are staying well & well away from it!

The good news is that I'm feeling a LOT better today, & even plan on going for a "test run" (pun intended!) today. ;-)

Funny you should mention the writing, because I just posted while you sent in this comment. ;-)

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to stopping by your blog & seeing your latest posts! ;-)

Hope you're having a nice weekend!
-C

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...