Friday, February 29, 2008

2 What's Your Opinion of The "Health & Wellness Blog"?


Print



Speaking of health (or lack thereof), I should probably mention a wellness blog I recently found, which will very likely be of some interest to you:

Health & Wellness Blog

I'm curious to hear your opinions on this blog. Do you think that it offers sound advice, based in facts & solid research? Am curious to hear what health professionals would make of this site as well.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'd like to share with you an article I found on TEF (the thermic effect of food), which is, if you don't know already, a very hot topic right now in the worlds of nutrition & wellness:

Ultrawellness Blog Post on TEF

The above site appears to be authored by, to quote the blog/site directly, a "respected medical consultant, New York Times -bestselling author, lecturer, and practicing physician Mark A. Hyman, M.D., ...a leader in the emerging field of functional medicine."

Just to be on the safe side, I'd still recommend practicing a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to authorship of websites. ;-) Guess I'm always suspect about a person's motivations when I know that they're also trying to sell me a product in the same breath. ;-)

Anyhow, back to the subject, TEF. As you may recall, I've talked about this topic several times before on this blog. While I don't claim to be an expert on the topic, I have done a lot of reading about TEF & have previously attended lectures from well-respected health professionals at Canyon Ranch on the subject. So I do atleast have some idea of what I'm talking about. ;-)

I definitely think the topic merits further investigation & discussion, is worth bringing to the attention of a larger audience.

Anyhow, enough about this. I'm curious to hear what you think. So, after reading the above-referenced articles/materials, please let me know your opinions of the articles/sites posted on these aforementioned wellness blogs. So comment away!

2 comments:

Spider63 said...

A lot of that seems to be articles that are taken from other sources. I prefer blogs by real people, and their own thoughts.

cyberpenguin said...

Spider63,

Thanks for your comment/feedback.

I have a few questions for you, based on your responses. (It's sometimes hard to ascertain tone from a person's comments, & I don't want to make any assumptions about your intended meaning.)

Could you clarify what you mean by "a lot of that"? To which exact articles/blogs are you referring exactly?

Also, I'm curious to know, is your mention of the material originating from possible "other sources" based on fact or speculation? If you do in fact know the source from where this material appears to originate, please do share. If these blog authors have in fact committed plagiarism, then I'd be inclined to agree with your conclusion about preferring blogs to be written by people who are capable of thinking their own thoughts & writing their own material. ;-)

Also, on that note, is your comment about "real people" meant to be taken literally or figuratively? I wasn't sure. (In the literal sense, the "Health & Wellness" blog is written by Dorothy Scott, & the "Ultrawellness" blog appears to be authored by Dr. Mark Hyman. ;-) )

I personally prefer to write my own thoughts & feelings in my blog. After all, what's the point of regurgitating material that I can just find elsewhere, eh?! On occasion, I do like to refer people to articles which I think are useful, but I don't feel the need to reprint the entire articles here on my blog. ;-)

And speaking of original articles: You're more than welcome to browse through the archive of this blog for original articles I've written on various subjects, as well as reviews of books, articles, movies, fitness products, etc.

While I do write articles & reviews on various topics, the main purpose of this blog is to serve as a journal for recording my thoughts & feelings about various experiences related to running & other fitness-related activities (i.e., strength training, cross-training), nutrition & healthy cooking, & maintaining a healthy weight.

A lot of my writing is general impressions & thoughts, which can be read as stand-alone posts by newcomers & regulars alike, but a lot of it is also a cumulative narrative geared towards my primary audience, i.e., the "regulars" who frequent this blog. As with most "journal" type of blogs, there's a certain continuity to the experience, that for some posts, might require a little back-story to get the full picture.

Hopefully, people find my journal entries entertaining & even useful. If not, of course they don't have to read it! ;-)

My intent in creating this blog is to share knowledge, learn from others, exchange ideas, enjoy the process of writing, & create a friendly & open sense of community -- and have fun in the process!

I hope that, after reading this blog, you've found the experience to be a positive one, & to reflect the spirit of what I've described above.

Thanks again for your comments.

Sincerely,
Cyberpenguin/Corey

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...