Monday, April 14, 2008

10 My Workout, Take Two..... ;-)


Print



OK, well, as you can probably surmise from the lack of a final post yesterday, that run I talked about doing just didn't happen. Yes, I'll admit it, yesterday I was all talk & no action. And I'm honestly not like the majority of the time. If I say I'm going to do something, I usually do it. I'm not a person to make idle threats or promises. I make every effort to keep my word, ("My word is my bond!"), especially with regard to promises made to others, but it's clear that I obviously need to do a better job with myself where exercise is concerned ;-)

I could start in various explanations, "It was rainy & cold & blah, blah, blah," but I know better than to do that. I'm not going to even attempt an excuse. ;-) It's all my doing & I take 100% responsibility. But who cares, because it's not about that. It's about doing the runs, or atleast getting active again on some level.

I don't want to become one of those people who always says "I will," & then never follows through. So, suffice it to say that, instead of blogging about my intentions to do things, maybe it's better that I just do them or not do them, & then blog about it after the fact. It's certainly less embarrassing & probably ends up being much more effective too! ;-)

Also, I noticed that the build-up of expectation is actually part of the problem & not part of the solution. It puts extra stress on a person, & often leads to mental immobility & a general lack of action. So, that's why I'm scaling back my expectations so much. It's a mental game at this point. If I say to myself, "Well how about if I just lace up my sneakers & go for a walk," etc., etc., there's a better chance that once I'm outside that I might say, "Hey, this feels great," & then feel like running after all. Whatever gets you out the door, eh? ;-)

10 comments:

Kathleen, RN said...

Hi Corey,

Sounds like a great idea! There's nothing like guilt is there, but you have no need, you slacker! (kidding).

You know a walk would be fine. You really could even do some resistance training indoors if you like.

I'm glad you're easing up on yourself - that's a good thing.

kab625

Andrew is getting fit said...

Heh...over promising and under delivering!

Eric Gervase said...

Here's my best you can do it speech.. You have visitors coming from everywhere to see the things that you are talking about. You are clearly motivated and can do this. One foot in front of the other and everything else will take care of itself. To quote my good friend, "it's simple, not easy". You motivate so many others... I have no doubt you can get yourself back in gear. You are, after all, SeeCoreyRun (I'm calling the running spirit of your blog moniker). It's on now.

cyberpenguin said...

Andrew, not sure where you're going with that comment (i.e., how exactly it was intended, etc.) other than stating the obvious, so I'm just going to leave it alone. ;-)

I promised myself that I was going give an honest account of my training on this blog. And that includes when I don't do so well, as well as when I do well, both with the runs & the mental energy surrounding the runs. I've always done that here. I've never held myself up to be perfect, & know that in this instance, I could've done much better. (No excuses!) As I said before, maybe next time I won't blog about the runs that didn't happen & just blog about the ones that do. ;-) End of statement.

If you're looking for more inspired posts or information about running, you're welcome to browse the archives. Anyhow, thanks for dropping by.

-C

------------------------------

Eric,
Thanks for the support & the pep talk! You & your friend both have good points.

When you say that visitors are coming from everywhere to read my blog, are you implying that I need to be a better role model? ;-) I realize that other people are looking for inspiration here, & by writing this particular post I was just trying to be real about the fact that I'm looking for mine too right now! ;-) But of course, we can't sit around waiting for inspiration to run, it's about exactly what you said: Putting one foot in front of the other. Sometimes the inspiration is there, & other times not. We all "fall down" at times. The point is to get up after falling down. On that note, I'm running with my friend tonight, so there's another chance to redeem myself. ;-)

How has your running & race planning been going? (Need to stop by your blog & find out!) Thanks so much for your comments!

-C

TexasTesla said...

It doesn't hurt to see that even someone with a running blog has moments where she just can't get off the couch. Amazing - you are human too! :-)

(And don't ask me about running on the weekends...talk about good intentions, no action)

Don't make excuses, but don't beat yourself up. Get up, get moving, find something besides just running to do if you don't "feel" it. (Rent some workout DVDs - those can be great) Get the body used to moving and sweating again, and hopefully that helps.

Eric Gervase said...

Didn't mean to come off preachy. In fact, quite the opposite. I was trying to point out what you've accomplished. Don't want to let you forget that. You're right, everyone has their ups and downs. In fact, I'm definitely in a down spot with my weight right now. But, the running is going well. So, I'll let it alone.

Anyhow... You've done wonderfully and I applaud your honesty and grit. I'm sure you will overcome... :) Hope I didn't rile you up.

cyberpenguin said...

Hi Eric,
No worries; I understand how you meant it. You didn't sound preachy at all. Just helpful & supportive. Well, glad to hear that you're running is going well! Hope all the rest is going well too (your studies, family life, etc.). Got to stop by your blog & catch up.....
-C

cyberpenguin said...

Hi TexasTesla,
Thanks for the suggestions & the support! ;-) So how's your training been coming along?
-C

Abimars said...

should I or should I not comment, that is the question!

cyberpenguin said...

LOL, Kab625! Sounds like we are on the same wavelength. ;-) So what types of exercise do you like to do?

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...