Tuesday, August 5, 2008

0 Run 3, Week 8 (BOHR): A Man Playing The Cello, Some Familiar Strangers, ...and 6 1/8 Laps Around The Lake!


Weather Conditions:
Temp: 75-78° FHumidity: 57-63%
Warm-up Walk:Start Time: 8:32 am
Distance: 0.52 miTime: 8:00 minAvg Pace: 15:14 min/miCalories Burned: 54
Start Time:
8:40 am
Distance: 4.72 miTime: 49:04 minAvg Pace: 10:22 min/miCalories Burned: 492
Cool-down walk:
Start Time: 9:30 amDistance: 0.75 mi
Time: 12:26 min
Avg Pace: 16:29 min/miCalories Burned: 78

I got up at 6:30 am. Or rather, I rose from the couch at 6:30 am (after having fallen asleep there the previous night at around 10 pm!), moved to the bed, slept until 7 am, & then begrudgingly got out of bed at around 7:05 am. I just didn't want to move today. I'm sure you've all had days like that. I can't remember what I did next -- it's all a blur, but somehow I gradually got dressed to run & got out the door. I started my run almost 2 hours later. Boy, was I a slowpoke today. Usually I can muster some sort of resolve to get going in a half hour or less from the time I wake, but not today!

Anyhow, I wasn't really looking forward to today's run. All I could think about was that I'd be running 49 minutes in what would most likely be unbearably hot weather, with the sun beating down on me like a laser stun gun. (OK, the geek in me just jumped up & cheered at that sci-fi metaphor. And then the I'm-too-freakin'-cool-to-make-dweeby-literary-allusions part of me beat it down with my big muscle-y arms from all of those pushup workouts. Hahahahaha. ONLY kidding. What can I say, I'm a Gemini. ;-) )

Well, it was a good thing that today's run started off with much cooler-than-expected weather, even at 8:30 am in the morning. (Usually by that time, it's a scorching 80-85 degrees plus humidity.) Otherwise, I would've seriously considered running indoors or waiting until evening.

In fact, before I left the house, I checked the weather report on my computer. It was apparently only about 68-70 degrees. (Actually I use a few different sources & take the average, because the ForecastFox Accuweather reading at the bottom of my browser is usually always a few degrees cooler than other reports, & I don't think it's very accurate. Hmph, Accuweather. More like Inaccuweather! ;-) I think it must be taking a reading of the weather from the most northerly part of my zip code!)

Anyhow, by the time I got back to the house, the temperature report was 78-80 degrees, depending on which source one goes by. That's a ten degree increase in a span of an hour. Sheesh! (It's a good thing I didn't see the temperature while I was half-way through my run! ;-) )

Well, what else can I tell you about today's run?! Well, I saw the same grey-haired gentleman with the Oakley-esque shades who always walks around the lake, & also the same middle-aged couple, with whom I exchanged "Good mornings" -- It was my turn to acknowledge them first today. ;-) Other than these three people walking around the lake, there weren't any other recognizable faces today.

Not surprisingly, there were a scant few runners today. Maybe people were scared off by the heat; I have no idea. Most of them finished by the time I was into my second lap. However, there was a young guy, probably in his late twenties to early thirties, who started after I began & did a few laps. He ran past me a few times, running at a fairly good clip. After he'd finished with his run, I ran past him as he was walking (I think I was on my fifth lap by that point), turned to him, & jokingly asked, "Hey, how 'bout a few more laps?!" He smiled & laughed, & looked VERY thankful to be done with his run. ;-)

Other observations: The grey-haired man kept swiveling his head when I'd pass to watch my progress. The first few laps he was probably like, "OK, there she goes as usual." And then by the time I'd gotten to my fifth lap, I think he was fairly impressed, judging my the expression on his face. It was one of those surprised, "You're STILL running?" kind of looks. ;-) He wasn't there to witness the sixth lap, as he'd already walked off the path by that point, to go somewhere else, i.e., probably back home!

Half way around the final lap, I saw a cellist sitting in the gazebo-like covered area out by the far end of the pier. (He must've just started playing, because I didn't see him on the previous lap.) I took one of my headphones out of my ear & turned down my iPod all the way to catch a strain of what he was playing. (Well, you don't see or hear that every day at the lake.) It was very soft, & sounded slow & somewhat dolorous. Well, apparently someone was having a much-needed moment of catharsis. ;-)

Anyhow, I was really glad when I hit the final lap; nearly around the same time I'd finished the lap, the iPod announcer-lady said, "One minute to go" or something like that. I'd really given it my all to get to the final lap, & wasn't expecting to have to run any further after the sixth lap. ;-) So, I was a little bit ticked off that I had to keep going for a bit longer, but nonetheless finished out the final minute. I made it about another 1/8 of a lap, & then promptly changed over into my cool-down walk.

I honestly didn't have much left at the end, so I was really glad that today's run was over & done with -- By the end of the run, I noticed that I hadn't finished all of my water (there was about a half-bottle left), but you better believe I emptied it all during my cool-down walk!

I'd been drinking water continuously throughout the run, so it's not like I'd stopped drinking fluids at any one point. I did get a little bit crampy at around the start of the fifth lap, so I slowed down my water intake to allow my body to adjust. I also felt a wee little stitch in my side about half-way through this same lap, so I followed some of the suggestions I recently recommended to a fellow runner experiencing the same condition at our Blog Catalog running forum to make it go away. (And they worked!)

One final note: I noticed that according to my original mileage calculations, in which 1 lap = 0.74 miles, that'd mean that 6 1/8 laps = 4.5325 miles. So, my pace would be closer to a 10:51:49 minute mile for that distance, instead of those totally off-kilter Nike+iPod figures. However, I'm not going to worry too much about pace at this point, since it's the longest distance I've completed thus far in my current BOHR training program. (Obviously, I'm not counting the longer distances done in the BTHR program, which I did much earlier - i.e., January & the first week of February -- in the year. However, there's been a large stretch of time that's passed since that program -- with a large hiatus from running in between, so it doesn't really count in my book.)

So regardless of whether it's 4.5 or 4.7 miles, I still feel good about completing it! 8-)

Having said that, I also realize that if I'm ever going to get to my initial goal of completing an 8K in 45 minutes, that I've got some serious work cut out for me! However, first let's complete the mileage & get accustomed to running the distance; then let's worry about pace & finishing times! One step at a time, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails