Saturday, August 16, 2008

2 What's Next:?! Moving Forward After Re-evaluating My Training Programs & Goals


Print



On second thought, I'm not so sure that running the Advanced 10K Training Program (from CoolRunning.com) would be such a good idea. This week I did 16 miles, & the pre-training program starts at 31! Gulp! That's more than the recommended 10% weekly mileage increase, eh?! ;-)

So, I think I'm going to race in the Rockville 5K, & not the 10K on 11/2/08. ;-) I'll still train for a 10K distance, but will probably not race it until I've adequately trained for the distance. For me, it's not just about completing the distance; it's about having enough experience under my belt at that distance to run it well.

So, what to do? I could run the Beginner 10K Training Program (also from CoolRunning.com), which doesn't mean that I'm a beginner runner, but rather that I'm a beginner at 10K training, which would be a very accurate assessment at this point. ;-)

Or, I could run the revamped BTHR program, which I'm sorely tempted to do, primarily because I want a second crack at the program now that it's been revised, but also feel that this program is one of the more gradual programs in keeping with the philosophy & aim of the preceding programs I've done thus far (i.e., BOHR, CT5K/C25K, etc.).

Right now, my primary concern is just gradually building up the miles, so my feet, legs, heart, & lungs, etc., can adjust to the additional mileage & time spent on the ground. Then, I'll worry about things like speed & pace.

So, after taking these factors into consideration, I think I'm going to run the BBOHR/BOHR1.5/BTHR programs next in sequential order (i.e., see left side bar for more details), & then do a 10K training program after that. Maybe by that point I'll be ready for the more advanced version of the program. Who knows?!

I just cannot afford to be hasty. It's not about chickening out; it's about being smart & training properly to stay healthy (& also of course, do everything possible to avoid illness & injury!).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brief Goal Review:

WEEKLY GOALS (8/03/08-11/15/08):
--Do warm-up & cool-down walks, & stretch. (100% to GOAL.)
--
Run BOHR program, 3x/wk (until 8/17/08). (100% to GOAL.)
--Research & find new running program for 8/18/08 - 11/15/08.*** (100% to GOAL.)
--Do
HPTP, 3x/wk. (0% to GOAL this week! Previously, probably closer to 80-90% to GOAL.)
--50 crunches 1x/wk.*** (0% to GOAL)
--3 sets leg lifts/squats x 20 reps (each leg), 1x/wk.***
(0% to GOAL)
--Drink 8 8-oz. glasses of water a day.
(90-100% to GOAL)
--Eat 3 meals & 3 snacks (Eat 6x/day). (90-100% to GOAL)
--Take multivitamins & glucosamine chondroitin daily. (14.3% to GOAL)

SHORT-TERM GOALS
(6/07/08-11/15/08):
--
Complete BOHR by 8/17/08. (100% to GOAL.)
--Complete HPTP by 8/17/08. (55.56% to GOAL.)
--
Revamp BTHR program to include 10K race training, or find suitable 10K training plan.*** (100% to GOAL.)
--Lose an additional 8-10 lbs. by 11/02/08. (A secondary goal.) (0% to GOAL.)
--Lose 10% BF by 11/15/08. (A primary goal.) (0% to GOAL.)
--Register, train, & run in the Rockville 5K/10K, on 11/2/08, 8:30 am. (0% to GOAL.)

LONG-TERM GOALS (8/03/08-12/31/10):
(Not doing "percentage to goal" figures for long-term goals, since I haven't begun working on them yet, save the BF% goal.)
--Reduce BF% to 14-18% by 5/30/09.
(0% to GOAL.)
--Run & successfully complete my 1st marathon, (possibly by 12/31/10). (Will revisit this goal in late 2008. Considering doing the Shamrock as my first marathon.)
--Follow modified Abs Diet + Canyon ranch meal plan for maintenance.
--Weight train regularly, starting with 1x/wk. Over next 1-2 yrs., do 100 pushups, 5oo sit-ups, 100 leg lifts, & bench-press body wgt.***

--Run a 5K in 27:54 & a 10K in 55:00, or a 9 minute mile pace.
----------------

(*** = Goals needing further revision & refinement.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Goals (after re-evaluation):

WEEKLY GOALS (8/17/08-11/15/08):
--Do warm-up & cool-down walks, & stretch.
--
Run BBOHR program, 3x/wk (until 9/20/08).
--Do
HPTP, 3x/wk (until 9/20/08).
--50 crunches 1x/wk.***
--3 sets leg lifts/squats x 20 reps (each leg), 1x/wk.***

--Drink 8 8-oz. glasses of water a day.
--Eat 3 meals & 3 snacks (Eat 6x/day).
--Take multivitamins & glucosamine chondroitin daily.

SHORT-TERM GOALS
(6/07/08-11/15/08):
--Complete BBOHR by 9/20/08.
--Complete HPTP by 9/20/08.

--Lose an additional 8-10 lbs. by 11/15/08. (A secondary goal.)
--Lose 5% BF by 11/15/08. (A primary goal.)
--Register, train, & run in the Rockville 5K/10K, on 11/2/08, 8:30 am.

LONG-TERM GOALS (8/03/08-12/31/10):
--Reduce BF% to 14-18% by 5/30/09.
--Run & successfully complete my 1st marathon, (possibly by 12/31/10). (Will revisit this goal in late 2008. Considering doing the Shamrock as my first marathon.)
--Follow modified Abs Diet + Canyon ranch meal plan for maintenance.

--Weight train regularly, starting with 1x/wk. Over next 1-2 yrs., do 100 pushups, 5oo sit-ups, 100 leg lifts, & bench-press body wgt.***

--Run a 5K in 27:54 & a 10K in 55:00, or a 9 minute mile pace.
----------------

(*** = Goals needing further revision & refinement.)


2 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

Yep, almost doubling your mileage in one week is probably a bad idea. ;)

My wife has just finished c25k (or will be this week) so I think I'll steer her towards BOHR.

cyberpenguin said...

Congrats to your wife for finishing the c25k. How do you plan to celebrate this milestone?! Maybe a victory dance around the room with your family?! ;-)

So seems like everyone else around you is catching "running fever," eh?! Sounds like it's only a matter of time before your little daughter will be running next. ;-)

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...