Sunday, October 26, 2008

2 "The Hurrier I Go, The Behinder I Get." ;-)


Print



The funny little saying that forms the title of this post is not only one of life's great little truisms, but was also once long ago made into needlepoint art &, if I recall correctly, is currently hanging on a wall somewhere in my parents' house. Mom, if you're reading this post, feel free to comment on my blog to verify that recollection one way or the other. ;-)

Anyhow, this quote perfectly expresses how I've been feeling as of late. In my personal life, I've been absorbed in multitudinous time-intensive projects that seem to be taking forever (& right now, are probably also taking over my life!). They are all off-line activities (i.e., no computer required!), & so that probably explains why I seem to have "gone off the grid" in the electronic world as of late.

I've been so absorbed by these all-consuming activities that there hasn't been time to do much else!

So to address anyone who is wondering why I haven't responded to your emails, please know that I'm not intentionally ignoring you & (excluding spammers! ;-) ) do sincerely appreciate your emails! I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the mountains of work & the sheer volume of email I get on a daily basis. ;-) Of course, there are many more of you than me, so please be patient while I sift through the daily deluge of my Inbox, & take the time to craft thoughtful replies. ;-)

Have you ever had those moments in your life when you feel like you're inching along very slowly, but there's a lot of (external/internal) pressure to be making much greater strides? That pretty much sums up my current situation in terms of both the personal projects & the running.

For me, this is both literal & metaphoric. Although I haven't posted about my runs/workouts in a while, I've been working out here & there but haven't been running all that much. And it's not just about tapering for the upcoming race. ;-)

I'm honestly not really in the mood to explain why this has been the case, as I know it'll probably prompt a whole lot of questions that I really don't feel like answering. All I will say is that I've been dealing with some knee-related issues that could've been avoided. The whole situation could be summed up by that famous Homer Simpson-ism, "Doh!" ;-)

But that doesn't mean I'm out of commission entirely. I'm still working out, but when I stand on my feet for too long, the knee pain recurs. Not sure where that leaves me in terms of my status for the upcoming race, but I'm still able to workout, provided that I stay off my knees & use the bike & the elliptical machine.

Currently, the strategy has been to do 65 minute gym workouts to get the aerobic benefits of exercising (& to work out for the same amount of time that I'd be on my feet running 6.5 miles) but to avoid doing any load-bearing activities that put too much stress on the knees.

The only problem with that plan is that my last gym workout was on Monday, 10/20/08, & my last run (6.5 miles) was on 10/18/08. ;-)

In other words, I basically haven't done squat for a whole week.

OK, I'll admit that this past week I've been putting these projects ahead of everything else, including exercising. But since it's only been a week since my last workout, I think everything will be OK. Missing a week of exercise certainly isn't the end of the world. And I don't think I'll have lost too much fitness in that time. Plus, what's done is done. Can't get that time back now & won't let the missed workouts derail everything I've worked so hard to achieve.

So moving ahead, I just need to make sure that I'm doing more than a big fat zero next week. ;-)

However, this doesn't mean that I'm going to try to make up for all of those "missed workouts." That'd be insane. Furthermore, that kind of screwy thinking is the same type of stuff that derails people who've just eaten one too many pieces of pie & then think they've suddenly got to go off & exercise 24/7 &/or eat nothing the following week to make up for it. I can assure you I certainly won't be doing that!

Simply put, I'm a reformed perfectionist, & refuse to take the bait. No getting sucked into that "all or nothing" thinking that unseats/undoes many so people, not only just the perfectionists, but also those who are so attuned to habit that they can't break out of their molds, even if it'll help them in the long run. No getting stuck in a box or trapped by my own worst habits. Time to escape & choose new options!

To quote the inimitable Chaka Khan, "it's time to get out of your own way."

Plus, in the overall scheme of things, I realize that, even though there are a lot of things that really need to get done, hurrying along isn't really going to make them "get done" any faster. So the only option is to just take it one step at a time.

That piece of wisdom might seem simple & trite, but it's nonetheless a valuable lesson, well worth its weight in gold. When it comes to fitness accountability, I'd rather take the truth, straight-up, no chaser.

So, I can just recuperate the knees & still maintain fitness, I'm hoping to still run the race. Fingers crossed. Really want to run in it, but if the knees aren't in good shape by race time, I'm certainly not going to risk doing anything rash either. The point is to be able to keep running for a long time. That's much more important, long-term.

So, will any of you be running in the Rockville 5K/10K? If so, I'll see you there!

Good night all,
-C

2 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

Life happens sometimes.

It seems to me like you have your head screwed on the right way!

will said...

I know how you feel. I injured my chest and couldn't lift weights for awhile. Good luck to you.

discount fitness clothes

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...