Monday, December 29, 2008

5 2009 Racing Calendar Starting to Take Shape.....


Print



Now that the MCRRC's 2009 race schedule has finally been posted (Yesssss!), I've been reworking my 2009 race schedule a bit.

For logistical reasons, I've decided to drop the following races from my schedule:

4/18/09, 6:30 am - Charlottesville Half Marathon (I'm doing a lot of races that month, & something had to give! ;-) )
4/26/09, 8 am - GW Parkway Classic 10-Miler/5K (Just found out that this race is on the same day as Pike's Peek 10K. The speed clinic I recently signed up for gives free admission to
Pike's Peek (10K), so that makes the decision a no-brainer. :) )
5/31/09, 7 am - ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon & 10K (Due to a recent change in plans, will probably not be able to participate in this race.)

...and for that very same reason, will be adding a few others:

3/1/09, 8:30 am - Runaware 5K
4/15/09, 7 pm - Firebirds Mile
11/28/09, 10 am - Turkey Burnoff 5M/10M (Although I did the 5M race this year, it wasn't originally on my racing schedule for 2009, because the dates might possibly conflict with one of the marathon weekends. Still not sure if I'll be able to do this race, since those marathon dates have yet to be posted, but -- Oh, what the heck! -- it's easy enough to remove this race from the schedule should there be a conflict.)

I'll also be volunteering for a few races & track meets as well..... (More details on those as the time approaches.)

Since last year marked my return to regular running & racing, & this year's race calendar is going to be even more challenging -- filled with even more running & racing! -- it's important to carefully plan out the year, so that the races I select complement the projected points of where I hope to be in my training.

As is my nature, I usually start out fairly cautiously, & then as I get a better sense of what I'm able to handle, increase from there. After all, you can always add more races! :)

It's important not to overextend oneself or "bite off more than can be chewed," as the expression goes, because the resulting fallout is often a decreased interest in training & running. Or worse, overtraining to the point of injury. And I'm determined not to let either happen! (Fingers crossed!)

Past experience has certainly been a good teacher! ;-)

It's easy enough to let one's "wild horses" (i.e., the "twin horses" of ambition & adrenaline!) take over, especially during race day (!) or at various stages of training, but consciously practicing "balance and moderation" in one's training & eating behaviors is something that will help to reinforce the wisdom of these principles & ensure a long & happy running career!

OK, that's a wrap.

Happy almost-New Year's Eve! :)

-C

5 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

I think your approach is rather sensible. I like it.

I'm having a bit of trouble registering with the social networking sites in your previous posts. Waiting for the system to reset my password!

Rolando said...

Good luck on your new schedule Corey! I'm sure it will work out as planned.

Meanwhile, have a great New Years!

cyberpenguin said...

Thanks, Andrew & Rolando!

Andrew, were you able to get your password reset? Hope that's all sorted by now.....

Rolando, thanks so much for the New Years/holiday wishes! Hope your holidays were happy & healthy & filled with lots of nutritious & delicious food. :)

So what are your plans for 2009?

Rolando said...

Hi Corey, I don't have any earth shattering plans for 2009. I do plan, however, to keep exercising and to incorporate different types of exercise in my life.

The rest I will just play it by ear. :)

linda said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Joyce

http://www.videophonesguide.com

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...