Tuesday, December 2, 2008

3 Run 1, Week 18 (FIRST): Some Morning Speedwork


Print



This morning I went to the local university track with my sister. (Yes, I drove home to see my family yesterday.)

We did a gentle-10 minute warmup, doing a few 400s to get ready before our speedwork began.

My sister accompanied me for the first lap of speedwork, & then ran about 6 more 400s or so at her own pace, with some walking in between each lap. Then she hung out & cheered me on as I finished my speedwork.

I was proud of her for getting up so early & running with me, & I think she surprised herself too for getting up so early & running outside in 35 degree weather. ;-)

I did 1.5 miles (or 6x400s) of speedwork, interspersing each fast 400 with a 400 of easy running. My total milege was probably somewhere around 4 miles or so.

We made a deal; for every lap of speedwork that I did, she had to run a lap. She still owes me 2 laps & I'm not going to let her forget about it any time soon. Hahahaha!

Wow, that was some workout. I'm fairly tired, but am not sure it's all from the workout: I only got 6 hours of sleep; there was a lot of late-night chatting & catching up to do amongst the ladies of the household. My mom & I didn't go to bed until 2 am!

It was a lot of fun, but I think tonight's going to be an early night! ;-)

3 comments:

kchealy said...

Good for you for getting in your speedwork! If you stay consistent, I'm sure you'll really notice the difference.

cyberpenguin said...

Thanks, Kristen! Yes, that's certainly the plan. :)

So how many days per week do you typically devote to speedwork (when you are marathon-training?)

BTW, I just started the FIRST marathon training program, which includes one day of speedwork per week. That way, there's no escaping the inevitable, since the speedwork sessions are already built into the workout plan. 8-)

Have you done this plan before?

It's supposed to be a good program; I seem to recall Cymrusteve mentioning it before on his blog.

(If you haven't done the program & are curious about it, I'd be happy to share my impressions of it with you!)

Have a great weekend!

-C

kchealy said...

I actually have done FIRST before, and I really liked it. In fact, I might go back to it this year.

When I'm training for something specific, I'll do a max of 2 speed sessions a week: 1 tempo and 1 interval.

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...