Sunday, January 25, 2009

4 Movin' On Up! ;-)


Print



Just a brief bit of news to share: Today the coach of our running clinic told me that he was moving me from the 10:30 pace group (which admittedly was not challenging enough for me, & was based on earlier race times, which I'd submitted during my registration for this class) to the 9:15 pace group. Yowsa!

He's basing this change upon the fact that I'd done close to a 10-minute mile for my last 10 mile run, & had run the recent 4M race in an unofficial guestimated pace of about 9:30 or so.

Also, during track practice I was running most of the threshold 8x400s at around 2-2:10, which is about right for the 9:15 pace group. Threshold pace for the 9:15 pace group is actually supposed to be in the realm of 2:20s.

You know the expression, "Be careful what you wish for, because it might come true"? LOL! :) Well, this is honestly more than what I expected. If anything, I thought I'd be moved into the 10:00 pace group, but since I can already clearly meet & exceed that challenge for the 10K distance (& almost meet it for the 10M distance at a 10:09 pace), it would be only a matter of time before I would once again find myself looking for a new challenge.

From a mental perspective, I realize that part of me would probably feel more "comfortable" in the 9:30 pace group, but a "speed development" program is not supposed to be based on the premise of what one feels "comfortable" doing! Otherwise one does not get faster. ;-)

Looking at the pace chart, it shows that I am supposed to be able to run a 10K in 57-58 minutes. Since I haven't run a 10K race in a few months, it'll be interesting to see how I stack up to this standard.

It also says that I should be able to run a mile on the track at an 8:35 pace. This run is supposed to be the "interval pace," i.e., a run done at 85-95% effort. How I would love to test this theory. Maybe sometime soon I will just have to head out to the track with a buddy & see what we can do. ;-)

In fact, on 4/15/09, I will get my first chance in a long time (since my high school track days in fact!) to prove what I can do for the mile (in an officially documented capacity) during the Firebird Mile racing event. I'm getting little goose bumps just thinking about it. :)

4 comments:

raulgonemobile said...

Congrats! It's good to have a coach and such to adjust stuff for you like that.. I have absolutely no idea what sort of pace(s) I should be running. :)

cyberpenguin said...

Thanks, Raul! Agree with you 100%!

BTW, I might actually be able to help you with determining your pace for various distances; have you seen any of the pace predictors on the side bar of this blog (i.e., McMillan Running Calculator, Pace Calculator, Jeff Galloway's Magic Mile Race Prediction Formulas, etc.)?

Also, do you happen to have any pace data on your last three races or "interval pace" runs (i.e., runs done at 85-95% effort level)? If so, that'd be really useful for predicting your pace for various distances. In fact, you're welcome to email me that data (I promise to keep it confidential!) & I'd be happy to give you a training pace estimate. (My email address is listed on the front center area of this blog.)

Cheers,
-C

Andrew is getting fit said...

So far I've found the training calculators to be a bit off.

I'm always slower than they say!

cyberpenguin said...

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your comments. Just curious: Which specific ones have you tried & found to be off? Also, are you trying to figure out your training pace or your target race pace?

I've found that it's helpful to use multiple race times in order to calculate a more accurate average. Of course, these calculations (without doing any further calculating) will give you your target race pace, & not necessarily the pace at which you should train, which should typically be a lot slower for most of your training days, save your speed work days done at "interval pace" (i.e., 85-95% effort level).

-C

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...