Sunday, January 18, 2009

2 Race Results: Shooting Star 4M


Print



Official race results are in for today's Shooting Star 4M race.

If you've read the previous post, you'll know the reason why I'm disregarding my race results. ;-)

If not, you can read that race report either by scrolling down on the main page of this blog or clicking here.

My official time was 41:43, or a 10:26 pace, but this obviously isn't accurate since I got a late start & didn't join the race until a few minutes after the gun went off!

As I mentioned in the previous post, I think I ran closer to a 9:30-9:45ish pace.

Well, it looks like Erik is right about me being able to go faster NOW. He said this to me a few road races ago, when he observed that, strangely enough, my 5K race pace was way too close to my 10K race pace! ;-) [This was because I was previously running 6-7 miles on a regular basis (& 8-10 miles on my weekend long-distance runs) & needed to shake things up a bit in my training, vary distances & types of runs/workouts, & add strength-training, all of which I've since done. And it's helped immensely!]

Looking at the races I've done over the past few months, it's obvious that I don't yet know where "the line" is when it comes to establishing where my pace is "supposed to be," & am still trying to discover how fast I can truly go. To quote Erik, I "don't yet know what's possible or where the limits of (my) abilities are," which is actually a good thing, as it leaves the door wide open for what can be done. :)

Of course, the only way to find out is to keep testing myself.

One thing is clear: From today's performance, I know I have it in me to go much faster NOW.

Maybe if I keep working at it, I can get back to running 7:30's or 8's again. Who knows?

Well, one step at a time. First I need to work my way down to 9's, which I definitely think I can do. :)

I am also very encouraged by a fellow running club member whom I chatted with after today's road race, who told me that he went from running 11-12 minute miles to running 8 minute miles in only a year. Wow! What an inspiration he is!

I know it's going to take a lot of work, but am willing to do what's necessary to get there!

2 comments:

Dan Cummings - Running Realtor said...

Corey, You're doing a great job increasing your speed. The one downside to all this is you shouldn't really be classified as a Penguin when you're as quick as a bunny...

cyberpenguin said...

Thanks, Dan! LOL, regarding the penguin comment! However, the reason for the nickname, Cyberpenguin, has nothing to do with speed. :)

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...