Tuesday, July 5, 2011

2 Announcing The Rock It! Running Nutritional Plan


Print



When you pull open a sports nutrition book, do you typically find a practical how-to guide with corresponding recipes? In my experience, usually not. :) Additionally, a lot of sports nutrition books I've read are frankly dry and sometimes read like a bio-chemistry textbook. For a runner's purpose, this is not typically what we really want in a sports nutrition book. Sure, if you're so inclined, it's great to understand the principles behind sports nutrition -- the "whys" of it all, explanations of ATP and its effects, and a long list of chemical compounds and nutrients contained in each food and their positive (or, in some cases, negative) effects on the body. Who knows, maybe you're naturally curious about this or are studying for a degree in biochem, (sports) nutrition, or exercise physiology. However, what most runners are really seeking are the practical applications of this knowledge, i.e., the hows. As in, how do I apply these principles to my daily life and diet?

Well, if you've been searching for a book that answers this question, you're in luck. :) In my upcoming cookbook for athletes, I will be providing exactly that. In the appendix section, I will be outlining practical guidelines for a runner's nutritional plan that is rich in the nutrients that we runners/endurance athletes need most. For example, as runners, we need to stay properly hydrated and eat foods and drink liquids that will be effective for recovery as well as keep our joints strong and our hearts, lungs, and muscles in top shape; and in the book, I will be listing foods that naturally provide the corresponding nutrients as part of our diet. As a logical follow-up, there will also be a practical schematic showing how to incorporate these foods into our daily diet, with corresponding recipes that fulfill these nutritional requirements.

I've called this nutritional plan the Rock It! Running Nutritional Plan, named after my running and wellness company. :-D

Yes, some of you know that I actually have a company focused on these initiatives, even though I've never really mentioned it here before, aside from placing one or two small and barely noticeable links on this blog. ;) Generally speaking, I've tried to keep the two entities/blogs separate, as this particular blog's primary purpose is to provide training and (sports) nutrition-related information. Of course, my cookbook IS a resource, like any other, and so that's why I'm mentioning it here, as I might mention any other books I think would be useful to the readers of this blog. :-D

Additionally, some of you might even know that I write books as part of my company's running and wellness initiative. :) As mentioned in the previous post, I've recently finished a chapter called "Fit Foods," which will be part of Brett Stewart's book, "7 Weeks to Ripped." Yes, that Brett Stewart. :) The one who wrote "7 Weeks to 50 Pull-ups." :-D

You'll notice that I don't use the word "diet" to describe my healthy eating program, but instead use the word "nutritional plan." That's because the connotation of the word "diet" is one with which I fundamentally disagree, as I'm not talking about a fool-hardy scheme to lose weight quickly. ;) My nutritional plan is a balanced and healthy nutritional plan focused on whole (i.e., unprocessed!) foods rich in nutrients and low in fat and refined sugar.

To my mind, the word "diet" has been perverted from its original (literal) meaning, i.e., the denotation, which, first and foremost, is defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary as either (a) food and drink regularly provided or consumed; (b) habitual nourishment; or (c) the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason. You'll note that these are the first THREE definitions, and that there's only ONE reference to diet as (d) a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight. And, at that it's the very last definition. Well, GOOD. It's the last and the least, and I'd love to see the word restored to its original meaning. :-D

My cookbook will, of course, only be addressing the first three. :) In so far as definition (c) is concerned, the book will provide meal plan examples for vegans, vegetarians, and meat-eaters alike.

I believe that a cookbook for runners has GOT to address the essential foods that benefit them the most in terms of athletic performance, nutritional value, and overall health. After all, we put a lot of effort into our training and pay careful attention to technique and strategy to get the most out of our sessions, so why shouldn't we do the same when it comes to the food that we eat?

2 comments:

Linda said...

This sounds like it will be an enormously useful and practical book, plus recipes! When is it coming out?

Cyberpenguin said...

Thanks, Linda! The sports nutrition section is actually part of the healthy gourmet cookbook for athletes that I'm currently still writing. :) (The release date will most likely be announced after the writing's been finished. The book still needs to be edited after that.)

Post a Comment

I may or may not know you, but love reading your comments!

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed . You can also subscribe by email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Loading...